top of page

Major William Carpenter Noel Shore

They went back to live in Dublin. In 1876, their daughter, Caroline Mary Shore was born, followed in 1878 by the birth of a son, John Teignmouth William Shore.  Caroline was always known as Cis and John was always called Jack.  Around 1880, the family moved to London where William had a position as an Examiner in the Treasury Department.  In spite of being handsome and sweeping Mary off her feet, he was absolutely hopeless with money.  Mary’s brothers made a lot of money speculating on the stock exchange etc, however, William didn’t have their luck and must have lost the lot, as when he died, Charles Adamthwaite came and took away all Mary’s wedding presents – silver, crystal etc – to help repay some of the money he had loaned William.


William died in 1888 in the Hospital for Heart Disease, in Soho Square, London.  Poor Mary and the two children were left very badly off and in the 1991 Census were living in lodgings in Kensington.  However, her two sisters, Fanny who was married to Kenric Murray, Secretary of the London Chamber of Commerce, and Lucy who was married to Major Hughes took care of them all.  In spite of taking all her wedding presents, her brother Charles was also very kind to them.  

Charles Adamthwaite on one of his polo ponies

Charles on polo pony

Charles Adamthwaite was married to William’s sister Caroline Shore (Carrie) and they had two sons, Charles and Cyril.  Charles and his family lived in the countryside near Daventry where Charles bred polo ponies. He also had a parrot who got drunk on port every night and invariably fell on the floor off his perch to sleep it off.


In another letter to my mother, Aunt Cis writes about her grand-daughter, Molly Neligan -


"(Molly) is a young lady with a most limited stock of patience. There is the Adamthwaite touch there. As a family I never knew any who had so little, especially the men. Mother and Aunt Lucy were exceptions, especially Mother. The men were hopeless, at least Uncle Charles and John.  Lupton I never met after I was six or so. Aunt Fanny was very impatient too, both with things and people."


Cis married Piers Townsend who, in order to inherit a country estate called Whitehall in County Cork had changed his name from Hughes.  During the Civil War in Ireland they went with their family to live on the Isle of Man.  

Aunt Cis and Dorothy

JTW Shore Medium Web view

My grandfather, Jack commenced studying medicine at Guys Hospital, but had to give up because he had such poor eyesight.  He also suffered from asthma.  When he was about 20, he went to British Guiana for a while where he had a position as an overseer on a sugar plantation.  In 1898, he left England and went to live in New Zealand.  At first he worked on a farm near Wanganui and later had his own farm in the Manawatu region.  


In 1906 Mary also left London and went out to New Zealand to live with Jack.  Jack married Beatrice Annie Hallett (Bee) in 1908.  Her family had come out to New Zealand around 1850 and had settled in Hawkes Bay.  Jack and Bee had two daughter, Kathleen Mary (Molly) and Caroline Margaret (Peggy).  Jack had inherited his father’s charm and wit, but unfortunately was also hopeless with money. Over the years, he inherited, at various times, some quite substantial amounts, but just couldn’t keep it.  When he died in 1938, his farm had to be sold to pay for debts.


Mary lived the rest of her days with Jack, Bee and their two daughters on the farm in the Pohangina Valley in the Manawatu region of New Zealand.  She did, however, see her sister, Fanny, again.  Fanny’s two children, Oswald and Hilda both lived in New Zealand and when Fanny and Kenric visited them, would also stay with Mary and her family.  Kenric eventually retired to New Zealand and lived with Hilda, but died in South Africa while on one of his frequent travels. Mary died in 1918 and is buried in the Terrace End Cemetary in Palmerston North.


In 1926, Jack was advised by his doctor to move north and nearer the sea as it would help his asthma.  

John Teignnmouth William Shore 1878-1938

Mary (Adamthwaite) Shore (1847-1918)

adamthwaite farm banner

contact details

adamthwaite @

calling all


read our stories

r'dale banner thumb copy

Adamthwaite Archive

"The website IS the one-name study!"



Mary's family - the life of Mary Adamthwaite of the PINK line

by EBC


Mary Adamthwaite was my great grandmother.  She was born in Salford, Manchester in 1847, the eldest child of John and Maria Adamthwaite.


Mary had two sisters, Fanny (born 1849) and Lucy (born 1852), both born in Salford. She also had three brothers, William Lupton - known as Lupton (born 1856), John (born 1858) and Charles Edmund (born 1860).  Around 1854, the family moved to Oak Hill, Tean, Checkley in the county of Stafford where the three brothers were born.  To her family, Mary’s pet name was Poll and her brother Charles always called her by that name.

Her father, John, was born in 1810 in Salford and was part owner of Lupton & Adamthwaites Brewery founded by his father John,  and William Lupton.  John Senior was born in Ravenstonedale in 1780,  the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Adamthwaite.  Before founding the brewery he and William Lupton ran a coal merchants business in Salford.  In 1807, he married Mary Garlick and apart from John, they had 5 other children - Edmund, Elizabeth, Thomas, William and Martha.  In 1844, John died and the brewery was taken over by his son John.


John (the son) married Maria Jane Worrall in 1845 and Mary was born in 1847.  In 1845 John played first class cricket for England and he also played for the Manchester team.  He was later a J.P. for the county of Staffordshire.


The family were well off and all the girls were sent to finishing school in Paris.  Mary was in Paris during the Siege of Paris in 1870/71. My mother used to tell us – when we wouldn’t eat our dinner – that when Granny Shore was in Paris during the Siege, there was nothing to eat, so they had to eat rats.  I have read that during the Siege, the Parisians considered rats quite a delicacy because they only ate cheese and grain and therefore were quite expensive to buy!  When all other kinds of meat ran out, the zoo animals were killed for meat – except the lions and tigers which escaped because they were too ferocious to approach.


Mary Adamthwaite

When they married Mary, Fanny and Lucy were all given a ₤2,000 dowry which would have been quite substantial in 1876 when Mary married William Carpenter Noel Shore.  They were married in St Johns Church, Broughton, Manchester on 8 Feb 1876 by William’s brother, the Rev. Thomas Teignmouth Shore (at the time the incumbent of the Berkeley Chapel, Mayfair and also Chaplain to the children of Queen Victoria).  William Shore was the son of the Rev Thomas Robert Shore, a Church of Ireland clergyman who had a Parish in Dublin and who was also Chaplain at the Mountjoy Prison.  William was well educated, graduating from Dublin University with an honours degree. He was an Officer in the Kilkenny Fusiliers (militia) and also was a civil servant in a Government Department in Dublin.


In a letter written by Mary and William's daughter, Caroline Mary (Aunt Cis) describing William, she writes:

"He was a very handsome man, wavy hair, blue eyes, and must have been a great flirt in his day for when I first went to Dublin nearly every old lady whom his sister – Aunt Bessie brought to call on me whispered confidentially “My dear I thought at one time I might have been your Aunt” or remembered him very very well after so many years.  I fancy too he had no idea of the value of money and was very wasteful of it – for we were very badly off after his death and from what I know there was no reason for us to be so.  He was a Major in the Militia, not the regular army."


Piers Townsend died there in 1926. While they were in the Isle of Man, their daughter, Dorothy married Maurice Neligan and when they went back to Dublin, Cis went with them.  She lived a very quiet life in Dublin and later went to live with Dorothy and Maurice in Mount Mellick where Maurice managed a business for his sister whose husband had died suddenly. They had three children, Anne Maurice and Mollie.


Cis’s son, George studied medicine against his father’s wishes who considered medicine an unsuitable occupation for a gentleman.  George later became Medical Officer for Health for Buckingshire and lived in Aylesbury with his wife Molly and their daughter Sally.


caroline townsend and dorothy neligan

He bought a farm at Mahurangi Heads, not far from Warkworth and the family moved. Unfortunately, some of their belongings were lost along the way, including all their papers and family memorabilia.  Molly (my mother) married Edward Styak Wynyard (Ted) in 1936. Ted went to work on the farm and loved country life, although he had been brought up in Auckland.  It was not long before he had his own farm.  They had four children.   Peggy married Alley Langridge in 1940 and they had 3 children.


Mary would have had 11 great grandchildren 26 great great grandchildren and more than 20 great great great grandchildren, living in many parts of the world including England, Ireland, United States of America, Australia and New Zealand. Not many, but all good people who have experienced the ups and downs of life, just as Mary herself endured.





New Zealand

March 2008


Mary shore 2
bottom of page